When it comes to giving, Floyd Memorial’s Foundation is blessed with its charitable ability thanks to the contributions and support of priceless donors. According to Foundation Executive Director Ruth Heideman, “Our donors can rest assured that 100 percent of their gift supports our Healthier Community Initiative, medical scholarships and other health-related services provided by Floyd Memorial. Making a donation to the Foundation truly makes you a partner and investor in the future quality of our community’s health.”
This past year, the Foundation has continued to support well-rooted programs such as the hospital’s annual prostate cancer screening and its medical scholarships, as well as focused on building new programs and strengthening its relationships with donors. “We’ve held several community leader luncheons, Heritage Society events and co-sponsored a special picnic at Huber Winery for physicians and their families with the Floyd County Medical Society,” said Heideman. “We also held our first ever motorcycle ride, Highway to Health, as both a fundraiser and a friend raiser. It’s one of our goals to help build awareness of what the Foundation is and what we do.”
Through individual contributions and its signature fundraising event, the annual Golf Classic, the Foundation has experienced a successful year of providing continued support to the Hospital and its mission. In fact, its annual Golf Classic at Fuzzy Zoeller’s Covered Bridge Golf Club raised more than $174,000 through the generous contributions of its sponsors and golfers.
Foundation Dollars at Work in 2010
- Administrator of the Hospital’s Healthier Community Initiative, providing $150,000 in funding for community health and wellness.
- Introduction of Senior’s Breakfast in August with plans for a quarterly series in 2011.
- Screened more than 700 people for cardiovascular risk through the Take 2 for Heart and Stroke Screening Program.
- Partnered with LifeSpan Resources to provide screenings to low-income, regional senior centers and offer a Living with Chronic Conditions train-the-trainer course.
- Focused on children’s health through the donation of digital thermometers at health fairs and distribution of free bike helmets at Floyd Memorial’s Urgent Care Centers.
- Donation of $50,000 to Family Health Center of Floyd County for operational support.
- Funding of Annual Prostate Cancer Screening in the amount of $8,500 with more than 600 men being screened.
- Sponsorship of scholarships (totaling $32,500) for students pursuing degrees in the medical field.
- Purchased White Boards for nursing units to improve communication between staff and patients and their family members. Atotal of 86 boards were purchased for over $12,000 and include a pain scale, and an area for the nurse’s and physician’s names, as well as the patient’s vitals.
- Start-up of a patient educational channel on Hospital televisions in patient rooms. The channel will offer health-related programming on major health concerns that plague our society.
As the year comes to an end, consider being a community partner with the Floyd Memorial Foundation. “The only way we can continue to build a strong, healthy community is through the financial support of community members,” said Frank Heinz, chairman of the Foundation Board of Directors. “Your gift, great or small, can make a difference in someone’s life.”
All donations are fully tax-deductible. For more information, contact the Foundation at (812) 949-5803.