Welcome to the final issue of HealthScope for 2009. In this issue we feature a service that is unique to our hospital and our community – the Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate. Kentuckiana is plagued with a growing rate of obesity, pre-diabetes and diabetes, in part due to negative lifestyle behaviors and lack of physical activity.
We are so fortunate to have the expertise of the Harvard-affiliated Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate located on our campus. Offering board-certified endocrinologists and a team of specially-trained certified diabetes educators and nurses, the program embodies the concept of combining medical treatment, patient education and clinical research for optimal patient success.
This year also marked the 21st annual Prostate Cancer Screening sponsored by the Floyd Memorial Foundation. Our team of volunteer physicians and staff screened over 859 men in two hours on Sunday, September 27. The previous year, we screened over 820 men and detected prostate cancer in 17. For those men, a 15-minute screening became a lifesaving experience.
Finally, I want to end my column for the year on an extremely high note. Floyd Memorial has once again been recognized for its clinical achievements by HealthGrades, the nation’s largest independent healthcare ratings organization.
Here are just a few of the distinctions from the 12th Annual 2010 HealthGrades Quality in America Study:
• Best Rated in Louisville/Southern Indiana* for Overall Cardiovascular Services and Surgery
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Cardiac Surgery and Cardiac Care Excellence Awards
• Ranked in the Top 3 in Indiana for Cardiac Surgery and Overall Cardiac Services
• Five-Star Rated for Coronary Bypass Surgery – Two Years in a Row
• Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Attack and Heart Failure
• Best Rated in Louisville/Southern Indiana* for Overall Pulmonary Care
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award – Two Years in a Row
• Best Rated in Louisville/Southern Indiana* for GI Services, Procedures and Care
• Ranked #1 in Indiana for Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery
• Five-Star Rated for Hip Fracture Repair – Five Years in a Row
• Ranked in the Top 10 in Indiana for Overall Critical Care
• 2009 Highest Recommended Hospital in the Region by Hospital Compare**
Floyd Memorial Hospital and Health Services delivers comprehensive healthcare to our local and extended communities with compassion, quality and excellence.