Floyd Memorial Hospital is celebrating the 17th annual National Family Health and Fitness Day USA on September 28 from 9 am to Noon at the New Albany Riverfront Amphitheater. The event’s purpose is to promote family involvement in physical activity, one of the goals of the U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health. Family Fitness Day attractions include: fitness demonstrations and activities for the whole family, zumba, yoga, a hula hoop contest, Give Me 10 demonstration, bike rodeo, inflatable obstacle course and golf swing evaluation. The Family Fitness Day is sponsored by the Friends of the Ohio River Greenway and the Floyd County Physical Activity Coalition whose members include the Floyd Memorial Foundation, YMCA of Southern Indiana, City of New Albany, LifeSpan Resources, Floyd County Health Department, Southern Indiana Rehab Hospital, New Albany Floyd County Schools, Ivy Tech State College – Sellersburg, Floyd Memorial Hospital, New Albany Track Club, Stretch-n-Grow and the New Albany Housing Authority.
Family Fitness Day Schedule:
- 9 am – Greenway 5K begins (Pre-registration required by visiting www.OhioRiverGreenway.org)
- 9:30 am – Family 1-miler begins
- 10:00 am – Mayor’s address
- 10 am – Noon – Physical fitness demonstrations at the Amphitheater
- 9 am – 12 pm – Booths and free family activities